Back in the eighth grade, she did a report on the Dead Sea Scrolls that sparked and interest in Biblical archaeology.
And in the summer of 2017, Betty Ray of Carrollton joined the New Orleans Baptist Seminary’s Tel Gezer Water System Excavation Project sponsored by the Center for Archaeological Research.
According to the Center, the Gezer water system excavation is a joint project of the Moskau Institute for Archaeology at NOBTS and the Israel Nature and Parks Authority (INPA) along with Liberty University School of Divinity, a dig consortium member. The excavation is directed by Dennis Cole, Jim Parker and Dan Warner of New Orleans Seminary, INPA chief archaeologist Tsvika Tsuk and Eli Yannai.
Ray participated in this dig in 2015 and again this summer, for two weeks each time. Located at the ancient city of Gezer, about half way between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in Israel. Continue reading
It was a day of fun, fashion and good food for supporters of Tyler Holmes Memorial Hospital.
The Tyler Holmes Memorial Hospital Auxiliary held a special luncheon last weekend at the historic Tanglewood home in Carrollton – the former home of Dr. Millard Costilow. A portion of the proceeds from the luncheon fundraiser will go to the Dr. Millard Costilow Scholarship Fund, and organizers thought it a “special honor to raise money for the scholarship at Dr. Costilow’s former home.”
Following a lovely meal, guests were treated to a fashion show and took part in a silent auction.
Models showed off the latest styles from Special Treasures, Garden By The Pond, Hammond’s Pharmacy and Jamie Lynn’s.
“Our goal–not only for this fashion show but in the shop–is to help each customer look good, feel comfortable, and enjoy their selections,” said Cheryl Bailey of Special Treasures in Winona. “We are all winners when that happens.”
Snooky Lee of Carrollton is a daffodil guru.
In a typical winter, the early blooming daffodils would be starting to fade and the rest would be just starting to bloom, peaking the last week in February and the first week in March. But 2017 has not proven to be a typical Mississippi winter.
Pam Lee said they usually start blooming the last of January and something blooms until May, although most are typically blooming in February and March.
But this year, Snooky and Pam Lee have been enjoying the first flower of Spring in Mississippi for about three weeks, with many blooms already starting to fade. It is a strange year for winter weather. Continue reading
See some of these photos in the Dec. 15, 2016 edition of The Winona Times.
Although not a historic home, Mathairs Feith was constructed to pay homage to Carrollton’s historic architecture. Built in 2013, the home was built to resemble a dog-trot, cottage-style home. Mathairs Feith is a wood-framed house on a standing slab with a vaulted great room, 10-foot ceilings and deep crown molding. Throughout the house, architectural elements brought into the home echo Carroll County’s long history. The front doors were salvaged from the old home demonstration kitchen at the Mississippi State Extension Office in Carroll County. The back door is from the old Colvin home in North Carrollton and the side door is from the old Berris Johnson home in Carrollton. A claw-foot bathtub was gifted by Mina Gee and the mantels came from the Vance House. The church pews displayed in the home came from Zion Chapel Church in McCarley. Mathairs Feith, Irish for mother’s gift, is owned by Bill and Judi Gillespie.
The property in which Tanglewood sits has a history as rich as the town of Carrollton. The tract of land was originally purchased in 1834 by John and Robert Clow, brothers who obtained a patent from the United States government for the entire site of Carrollton. The property is west of a 40-acres plot that was designated as the county seat of Carrollton, and named Carrollton. The current home was built in 1905, after the original home built on the property was destroyed by a fire. The house remained in the Gee family until the 1970s, when it was purchased by Dr. Millard Costilow. In 2015, Tanglewood was purchased by Drs. Steve and Reba Bailey. The house and grounds are currently undergoing a complete restoration.
In 1902, Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Gillespie of Seven Gables, gave their daughter, Reisie, who had recently married Orman K. Gee, a plot of land on which to build a home –directly next door. The home was built in 1902 and the Gee family lived at this home through the 1920s. A Victorian Cottage-style home, Wayside was completely restored in recent years, and it features original heart pine floors, door casings and mantelpieces. In 2015, Wayside underwent construction once again, as the homeowners added a master bathroom and free-standing carriage house. In addition, several elements original to the home, like the screened side porch, were returned to the home. Wayside is the home of Keith and Amanda Sexton Ferguson, and one little energetic three-year-old, Dean, who brings the place to life!