Built in 1843, Cotesworth began as a coach stop on the old Grenada Road, a well-traveled route from Holly Springs to Natchez. In 1847, James Zachariah George leased the house along with acres of rolling farm land. He later purchased the home and property in 1861. J.Z. George was a member of the U.S. Senate from 1881 until his death in 1897. He and his wife, Bettie, raised nine children in this Greek Revival-style home. George is credited as the primary author of the 1890 Mississippi Constitution. As a tribute to his many achievements as a member of the Senate, a statue of George stands in the U.S. Capitol. For some, Cotesworth may seem familiar. In the blockbuster movie, “The Help,” the home became the Foote Plantation, as many scenes were shot at the home.