One of the most beautiful churches in Oxford is also one of the oldest churches in Lafayette County. St. Peter’s Episcopal Church was built in 1860 and with the first services held on Easter Sunday of that year. It is the oldest religious structure in Oxford and survived the burning of the town during the Civil War.
The general design of the building was patterned after the work of the famous Richard Upjohn, a popular church architect of the 19th century. The church was placed on mission status in 1923 and did not become a parish until 1962.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This photo gallery was originally published in the January 2007 edition of North Mississippi Christian Family, and can be seen at NMSCF January 2007 p 14