One of the most beautiful historic buildings in Starkville is the chapel at First Baptist Church. Steeped in local history, the chapel now serves the community for weddings and other special services.
First Baptist Church of Starkville now uses one of its early sanctuaries as a chapel for special services and weddings. The beautiful building represents over 150 years of praising God in Starkville. “The building was an ornament to the town, an honor to the church and one of the neatest and most attractive houses of worship in the state,” according to B. M. Walker in his centennial address in 1939.
In 1914 and 1922, the expansion project placed the building over a cemetery. The historic grave markers remain on the site in memory of departed members.
The beautiful stained glass plays a major role in the beauty and ornamentation of this church.
This photo gallery was originally published in the September 2006 edition of North Mississippi Christian Family: NMSCF September 2006 – p 11