The first Discipleship Conference held by the Webster County Baptist Association, is set for March 23-April 13, featuring a few very special guest speakers.
· The series begins at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 23 at Walthall Baptist Church, with a special focus on prayer. The guest speaker will be Bro. Wayne Marshall of Longview Heights Baptist Church of Olive Branch.
· On Wednesday, March 26 at 7 p.m. at Mantee Baptist Church, the focus will be on cooperation. The guest speaker will be Dr. Frank Page, President of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee.
· At Mathiston Baptist Church at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 30, conference focus will be discipleship. The guest speaker will be Dr. Gene Henderson, retired pastor of FBC Brandon.
· At 7 p.m. Sunday, April 6 at Tomnolan Baptist, the focus will be on proclamation. The guest speaker will be Bro. Greg Belser of Morrison Heights Baptist Church of Clinton.
· And the series wraps up at 7 p.m. April 13 at First Baptist Church of Eupora with Dr. David Hamilton of West Heights Baptist Church of Pontotoc discussing multiplication.
Bro. Martin Jacks, Mission Director for the Webster County Baptist Association, said this is a program that has never been done in Webster County. Jacks said it all goes back to Matthew 28:19 that reads, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (NIV).”
“It is our commission,” Jacks said. “Our goal is to teach what discipleship is. We have never emphasized it in this way, but it is something we need.”
Bro. Travis Gray of First Baptist Church of Eupora and member of the Missions/Evangelism team with the Webster County Baptist Association, said the goal of these meetings is not just to “have another meeting,” but to “remind us of why we have any meeting.”
Gray said, “As Christians, we are to pray without ceasing; cooperate with brother and sisters to do thing collectively that we can’t do individually; grow in discipleship, not shrink in disobedience; proclaim the gospel to all the world; and rejoice as God multiplies His followers and builds His church.”
“I would like to challenge everyone to make a special effort to be a part of these worship opportunities,” Gray said.
William Carpenter, pastor of Mantee Baptist Church, said after meeting with several pastors in t area, the associational leaders have concluded that three things will be of value to strengthening our churches’ work: encouragement, unity between churches, and recommitment to making disciples.
Mantee Baptist Church will host a special Wednesday Conference event with special guest speaker, Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Executive Committee.
William Carpenter, pastor of Mantee Baptist Church said, “there are few men in our convention I respect as highly as Dr. Page, and this will be a rare opportunity for your church to hear from one of our convention’s key leaders.” Page will host a special “Words of Wisdom for Pastors” event at the Webster County Baptist Association building at 5 p.m. March 26. Cost for the event will be $15 and includes a meal of smoked pork loin or grilled chicken. Pastors are invited to RSVP their dinner selection if they wish to attend.
RSVP by calling the association office at 258-5611 or email Carpenter at email@example.com to confirm attendance.
For more information about the Discipleship Conference, please contact the Webster County Baptist Associational Office Monday-Thursday 8-11:30 a.m. at 258-5611.
See this article in the March 13, 2014 edition of The Webster Progress Times: